Services for Students with Disabilities
Faculty and Staff Responsibilities
The office of Services for Students with Disabilities is responsible for facilitating academic accommodations as our faculty are responsible for giving those accommodations to our students. The responsibilities are outlined below and the SSD office will offer any assistance required to ensure that faculty are able to properly and efficiently offer those academic accommodations. More information is provided below on Faculty and Staff Responsibilities, please contact the SSD office by email at email@example.com or by phone at 559-278-2811 for more information.
- Make known to students that academic accommodations are available based on disabilities and that the Services for Students with Disabilities office is the appropriate entity to begin the process.
- Provide an environment that is harassment-free in nature and non-discriminatory to the student with a disability.
- Keep confidential all information related to a student's disability.
- Refer a student with a disability who has self-identified to Services for Students with Disabilities, the office designated to provide services in this area.
- Provide accommodations in the appropriate manner as designated by Services for Students with Disabilities from the time that the disability is made known to the campus. If the student requires classroom accommodations, a letter from Services for Students with Disabilities that specifies the appropriate accommodations will be provided to the faculty member.
- Ensure that students, based on disability, are not dissuaded from entering into specific fields of study if the student is otherwise qualified for the field or class.
- Provide the educational experience; the student is responsible for maintaining the acceptable requirements for the class or major.
- Provide or create Accessible Instructional Materials for all students, faculty, and staff. For more information, please visit SSD's Accessible Instructional Materials page.
- Self-identify that he/she has a disability.
- Provide appropriate documentation of disability that is acceptable within the guidelines established and followed by the Services for Students with Disabilities office.
- Request that the necessary accommodation from Services for Students with Disabilities, the entity on campus that is designated to determine academic accommodations for disabilities.
- Give the accommodation letters provided by Services for Students with Disabilities to faculty members in advance of the need for accommodations.
- Behave appropriately as outlined in the Campus Code of Conduct for Students.
- Comply with all guidelines and timelines designated by the faculty, staff, and administrators unless verified extenuating circumstances occur.