Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drugs (ATOD)

CSU Guidelines to Assist Students who Abuse Alcohol

  1. Faculty, staff, and administration should participate in learning opportunities regarding alcohol abuse education.
  2. Administration should ensure that educational opportunities are available to faculty and staff.
  3. Administration should ensure adequate distribution of on and off campus resources available to staff to address issues involving students with alcohol abuse problems.
  4. Staff, faculty, and administration should be aware of personal and professional liability and not attempt to personally engage in counseling or other interventions unless licensed to do so. Referral to appropriate health professionals is a more appropriate action to take...
  5. Student workers should be trained to inform a professional staff member of student alcohol issues or behaviors observed.
  6. Phone numbers of AOD contacts and referrals should be made available to professional staff.
  7. Staff, faculty, and administration should maintain appropriate personal and professional boundaries when helping students with their alcohol problems. They should attempt to find a way to link the student with trained professionals that can provide the medical and psychological treatment and support the student needs.
  8. Regardless of the point of entry (campus police, Judicial Affairs, faculty referral, etc.), campus protocol should include specific guidelines for follow-up to alcohol interventions (counseling, entry into alcohol program, sanctions, etc.). A "central campus contact" should be designated (See 2D).

  1. Transport of intoxicated students should be handled by Campus Police, Professional Ambulance company, Public Safety Office official, etc. only.
  2. Calls to a student's emergency contacts (as listed in DOSA Offices) should be handled by Campus Police or a designated University professional.
  3. Refer to individual campus protocol to ensure all steps are taken in the notification of key campus personnel (Housing, Greek Affairs, etc.).
  4. One person or office should be designated as the central contact for reporting all alcohol abuse incidents and alcohol emergencies.

    Note: This central contact person would also be responsible for engaging the follow-through process (with Housing, Health Center, Judicial Affairs, for example). Information from this designee could include on and off campus resources and referrals, explanation of the process of arranging time off from classes for a medical emergency and/or long term medical withdrawals, and other advice as deemed appropriate.

  1.  If a student is unconscious, alert Public Safety or call 911 immediately. A person who cannot be awakened due to an intoxicated state should not be presumed to be able to "sleep it off." The condition could be life threatening.
  2. Try your best to prevent others from removing the student while help is on the way.
  3. In most cases it is best not to try and move the student until first responders arrive.
  4. Stay with the student until help arrives.
  5. Each campus should design a specific action plan to inform staff and students of the signs and emergency procedures associated with alcohol poisoning.

  1. When a student is presently incapacitated due to alcohol use/abuse, staff should focus on reducing risk to the student or members of the community. Note: Although there is a danger in allowing an intoxicated student to depart without accompaniment, staff members are advised NOT to drive an intoxicated student anywhere-including to the student's home.
  2. If a student becomes combative if he or she knows you are calling Public Safety, excuse yourself and call from another room or ask someone to contact Public Safety for you.
  3. If a student becomes agitated, staff should remain at a safe distance and with access to an escape route so that they are not injured. Do not try to protect the student from injuring him or herself-call 911 as soon as possible and wait in a safe location for Public Safety.
  4. Staff should not try to take the car keys or block an intoxicated student from leaving. Instead, it is recommended to call for emergency help from Public Safety.


  1.  Disclosure to parents of students under 21 of the fact that their child may have violated "Federal, State, or local law, or any rule or policy of the institution, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance." (34 C.F.R. Section 99.31(a).15. No hearing to establish that "the student has committed a disciplinary violation with respect to the [alcohol or drug] use or possession," is required. A more formal process is sufficient. The decision to contact a parent is made by the Dean of Students and/or Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management or a representative after reviewing the situation. Determinations are on a case by case basis.

FERPA can be found at the following URL:

  1. University departments responsible for recognition of student organizations/Greeks in consultation with the Dean of Students and/or Vice President of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management review situations involving organizations and the improper use of alcohol or involvement of drugs. Organizations can be reviewed through a student organization discipline process and are subject to a number of sanctions if found responsible, including:
  • Loss of campus recognition permanently or temporarily.
  • Permanent removal of a charter or dissolution of the chapter.
  • Community service, education program for its members, or other educational sanctions.

2. In all cases, club advisors should be contacted, and in the case of       fraternities and sororities, the national headquarters will be             notified.

3.  Individual student members of recognized organizations may also      be held accountable for their personal behavior through the          student code of conduct and student discipline process.

Also see References, CSU Policy Recommendations for Clubs and Organizations, p. 6

  1.  Each campus should have a specific protocol designed to respond to student alcohol-related problems such as DUI, alcohol overdose, incidents and violations.
  2. In most instances, issues/problems are attended to by Campus Police, Student Health Services, Housing staff, etc. A report is then generated and forwarded to the Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management and/or the campus Judicial Affairs Officer (JAO).
  3. The JAO sends a letter (can be certified) to the student involved requesting an appointment to discuss the possible infraction with the JAO. During the meeting with the student, the JAO conducts a thorough investigation of the incidents, and if appropriate, may impose restrictions, educational sanctions, and/or strongly encourage the student to meet with the campus appropriate campus professionals to discuss ways of managing their drinking behaviors.
  4. When students are found to have chronic or severe behavioral issues related to alcohol abuse, parents may be contacted by the Dean of Students to allow for family intervention.
  5. Students who are assigned Alcohol 101 or another software package as a sanction could be required to pay the cost of its administration.

Also see CSU Policy Recommendations (Enforcement and Legal Issues), p. 7, and Executive Order 970, p.6


Additional CSU Guiding Principles

CSU Guiding Principles Addressing Student Alcohol Abuse
The Six General Alcohol-Related Recommendations of the CSU (2001) 
CSU Policy Recommendations for Prevention Programs and Committees
CSU Policy Recommendations for Clubs and Organizations
CSU Policy Recommendations: Enforcement and Legal Issues


Emergencies: Call 911


Online Alcohol Screening Tool

Where Can I Get Help?

Student Health and Counseling Center: 559.278.2734

Bulldogs for Recovery: 559.278.6727

SAMHSA National Helpline: 800.662.HELP


health center map

Student Health and Counseling Center:

Phone: 559.278.2734

Hours: M-F, 8-5, W, 9-5