Campus Assessment, Response, and Evaluation (CARE)
When to Contact
If the student's conduct is clearly and imminently reckless, dangerous, or threatening including self-harm behavior, please immediately contact 9-1-1 or University Police at 559.278.8400.
Contact CARE Team when a student’s observed or reported behavior causes you concern but the severity is unclear. Complete the online form or call CARE at 559.278.6777 or 559.278.5357.
Here is a list of some behaviors that could be referred to the CARE Team.
- Exhibits an abrupt change in performance, behavior, or appearance
- Engages in bizarre behavior or seems to be disconnected from reality
- Is disruptive within campus environment and does not stop when instructed to do so
- Engages in behavior that causes you or others to be concerned for safety (e.g. yelling, intimidation, name-calling)
- Threatens to harm him/herself or others
- Writes about committing violent acts
- Is consistently angry or depressed
- Housing or food insecure
- In need of community referrals and/or resources
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) does not prohibit the sharing of personal observations and knowledge about a student among campus officials when there is a legitimate concern related to campus safety.
To refer a student, complete the online form.