Campus Assessment, Response, and Evaluation (CARE)
When to Contact
If the student's conduct is clearly and imminently reckless, dangerous, or threatening including self-harm behavior, please immediately contact 9-1-1 or University Police at 559.278.8400.
Contact CARE Team when a student’s observed or reported behavior causes you concern but the severity is unclear. Complete the online form or call CARE at 559.278.6777 (Counseling Center) or 559.278.5357 (Dean of Students Office).
Here is a list of some behaviors that could be referred to the CARE Team.
- Exhibits an abrupt change in performance, behavior, or appearance
- Engages in bizarre behavior or seems to be disconnected from reality
- Is disruptive within campus environment and does not stop when instructed to do so
- Engages in behavior that causes you or others to be concerned for safety (e.g. yelling, intimidation, name-calling)
- Threatens to harm him/herself or others
- Writes about committing violent acts
- Is consistently angry or depressed
- Housing or food insecure
- In need of community referrals and/or resources
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) does not prohibit the sharing of personal observations and knowledge about a student among campus officials when there is a legitimate concern related to campus safety.
Refer to CARE Team
Refer a student to the CARE Team by submitting a report through our secure online form or call 559.278.5357.