Learning Aligned Employment Program
Student Guide to LAEP
The Learning Aligned Employment Program (LAEP) is a great way for eligible undergraduate students to earn money while gaining valuable career related experience. Follow these steps to participate in this program.
Step 1: Determine Your Eligibility
Review the following eligibility requirements, if you meet them, you’re ready for Step 2!
Are you an UNDERGRADUATE student meeting ANY ONE or MORE of these underrepresented student descriptors? If yes, you may qualify for LAEP funding.
- First-generation students
- Low-income students
- Current or former foster youth
- Homeless students or at risk of becoming homeless
- Students with disabilities
- Displaced workers
- Students with dependent children
- Formerly incarcerated students
- DACA recipients or those who have a work authorization permit
- Meet the requirements of Assembly Bill 540 of the 2001–2002 Regular Session of the Legislature
In addition to meeting any one or more of the underrepresented criteria listed above, you MUST MEET ALL the following to qualify for LAEP funding:
- Enrolled at least half-time
- Have demonstrated maintenance of satisfactory academic progress
- Have demonstrated financial need via FAFSA or CADAA (CA Dream Application)
- Classified as a California resident
- Eligible to work in the United States
Step 2: Eligible Students Apply
If you meet all the eligibility criteria listed in Step 1, and are interested in the program, please fill out and submit the Student LAEP Application Form. This must be done each time you wish to apply for an LAEP position.
If you’d like additional information before submitting application, please visit the CSAC LAEP page that provides a general overview of the program.
Step 3: Receive Program Participation Approval
After you submit your application, you will receive an approval notification and certification from the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships. This certification will list your LAEP award. Please make sure to save this document, as you will need it to apply to LAEP positions.
STEP 4: Look for LAEP Position on HireFresnoState
Once you receive your LAEP award notice, you may proceed to HireFresnoState by visiting your MyFresnoState portal, selecting Campus Services from the left drop down menu and then clicking the HireFresnoState menu item. Once logged into HireFresnoState, click the Job Search menu and set the Job Category filter to "On-Campus - LAEP Students Only" and/or "Off-Campus - LAEP Students Only"
All LAEP eligible positions should have the acronym "LAEP" in front of it. If the position does not have this tag, then it is NOT a LAEP eligible position.
STEP 5: Apply to LAEP Positions and Submit Forms
- If you are applying for an off-campus LAEP position, you will follow the company's/organization's interview and hiring process. If you are hired for the position, you must complete a LAEP Student Agreement online prior to starting work. You will not be paid if you do not complete and sign this form.
- If you are applying for an on-campus position, you will interview with the Fresno State department offering the position. If selected for the position, you must complete a LAEP Student Agreement online prior to starting work. You will not be paid if you do not complete and sign this form.
- To get paid, students will print/PDF a screenshot of their time and have this approved by their faculty supervisor or employer supervisor. Send this printout/screenshot of your hours to your faculty/staff mentor before the last day of the pay period for approval and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org.