University Advising Center
GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Students must complete General Education pattern based on their catalog rights. If you have any questions about GE, see an academic counselor in the University Advising Center, Joyal Administration Building, Room 224 (559.278.1787).
Liberal Studies, Engineering, and Smittcamp Honors College students follow modified GE patterns. Please see advisors in those departments for more details.
Please click on GE Patterns below
Commonly Asked Questions About GE
May I take a general education course at my local California community college during the summer?
YES! A helpful resource can be found at Assist.org. To find this information in ASSIST, look at the CSU GE-Breadth Certification Course List for your community college, or come to the University Advising Center to determine if the course you plan to take is articulated with Fresno State.
I plan to study abroad next semester. Are there any classes I can take that will fulfill General Education requirements?
Yes, you may be able to pre-petition for courses taken in your study abroad program to fulfill GE requirements. See an academic counselor in the University Advising Center to find out if a course or courses you plan to take could count for GE.
In order to graduate, students must complete the following items:
1. 120 unit minimum
- Units comprised of General Education, Major & Electives
2. GPA of 2.0+ in three areas:
- in the major
- in all Fresno State coursework
- total/cumulative units (some majors require a 2.0 in every class)
3. Specific Course Requirements
- English Composition
- US History
- US & California Constitution
- Multicultural/International Course
4. Upper Division Writing Skills (after 60 and before 90 units completed)
- All students must pass a "W" course with a grade of C/CR or higher. Click here for the current list of "W" courses. Some programs require a specific "W" course.
5. Residence units (30 units total; 24 are upper division, 12 are in the major, and 9 in G.E.)
7. File graduation application by using the online Undergraduate Degree Check out process through their student center during specific filing periods.