Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

Campus Advisors Network

How Does a Student Formally Declare or Change a Major

1. A student may go online and and access the Change of Major Request form, or pick up the form from the Admissions and Records service windows, North Lobby, Joyal Administration Building.

2. The student takes the completed form to the new major College Advising Center for an advisor's approval.

3 Once the form is signed by the new department, the student returns it to the Admissions and Records service windows in the Joyal North Lobby.

What if a student is undecided about which major to choose?

Students who are undecided about their major may change their major to "undeclared" while exploring options. Students will need to obtain a signature on their Change of Major form from an academic counselor in the University Advising Center, Joyal Administration Building, Room 224, 278-1787. See Undeclared Majors for more details.

*Note: Undergraduate students entering the university without a major are strongly encouraged to declare a major before the end of the term in which 45 units are completed toward a degree. Students must declare a major no later than the term in which 60 units are completed. Those who have not declared a major by 60 units will have a hold on their record that will block registration for the following semester's classes.

Undergraduate transfer students with 60 or more units must declare a major upon entry or before course registration begins for their second semester at the university. Students should make an appointment with an academic counselor in the University Advising Center (Joyal Administration Building, Room 224, Phone: 278-1787) for further information.