Who should be referred to Academic Success Coaching? Watch for the following signs in students:
- Excessive class absences
- Poor academic performance
- Low engagement in the classroom
- Possibility of not passing
- Not meeting classroom expectations
- Repeatedly submitting work late or not turning in assignments
How to refer students to Academic Success Coaching?
To issue a referral to Academic Success Coaching:
- Log into My Fresno State > Select BULLDOG CONNECT from the main menu (If Bulldog Connect is not found on the main menu, select "My Homepage" and select "Campus Systems." From here, BULLDOG CONNECT can be selected.
- On the Staff or Faculty Homepage, select "Issue a Referral"
- Complete the form by selecting a reason and provide comments if necessary
- Select Submit
We strongly encourage faculty to talk with students ahead of time before referring them to Academic Success Coaching.
What Happens When a Student Has Been Referred?
- Academic Success Coaching will conduct outreaches to students to schedule an appointment.
- If the outreach attempts are unsuccessful or the student declines services, a notification through Bulldog Connect will be sent to you.
Referrals are accepted from university faculty and staff; however, students are encouraged to self-refer if they feel they will benefit from Academic Success Coaching services.
Student referrals are accepted at any point during the semester. Referring students early in the semester allows Academic Success Coaching staff to establish a Student Action Plan with the student so that they can achieve their maximum potential for the semester.
A notification from Bulldog Connect will be sent to you if a student declines services or outreach attempts to the student were not successful.
Faculty are encouraged to include information about Academic Success Coaching in their course syllabus as well as announce their participation in class. Academic Success Coaching staff can also provide short presentations about services provided to classes. Requests for classroom presentations can be made to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 559.278.8370. Further, information will also be provided in the General Catalog as well as during Dog Days. We recommend this syllabus statement:
"Our campus has developed Academic Success Coaching to provide college level study strategies and connect students with specific campus resources to promote academic success. I have agreed to participate in this program and may refer you to it if I believe you need the services provided by Academic Success Coaching to succeed in this course."
Faculty are encouraged to notify the student about the referral. Students will also receive emails and phone calls from Academic Success Coaching staff regarding their referral.
Yes. If a student continues to demonstrate a need for academic or personal support, faculty are encouraged to refer students again.
Once a referral is generated, Academic Success Coaching will complete the following:
1. Send an email campaign to provide students with the opportunity to schedule their appointment with an Academic Coach.
2. Follow up with a phone call.
3. Email update to referring faculty regarding outreach attempts if students have not scheduled or responded to ASC.
3. Two weeks after the referral and the student has not responded, students will receive a follow up phone call and an additional email.
During the initial meeting, an Academic Coach and the student will discuss the reason for the referral. The student and Academic Coach then design a Student Action Plan to set the student on the path to success. In addition, an Academic Coach will help the student improve their time management skills and/or other study strategies by providing resources and follow up. Other campus resources that are available to support students may also be recommended.
Maintaining confidentiality is important to the Academic Success Coaching staff. Only the referring faculty/staff member, Academic Success Coaching staff, advisor, and any campus resources the student has been referred to will know of your referral. In addition, Academic Success Coaching has permission to obtain information regarding student grades and class progress under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, 34 CFR Part 99 ( www.ed.gov).
Academic Success Coaching will promote a higher level of student engagement, with more motivated students who make better decisions related to their academic life. Engaged students are more likely to meet the course expectations set by instructors. Teaching students who demonstrate a genuine desire to learn and to be active members of the University community should produce a more satisfying and highly stimulating classroom environment for students and instructors alike.