Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

Dream Success Center

Financial Aid Information

Steps to receive financial aid:

  1. Complete/renew the CA Dream Act application (October 1-March 2). If you are undocumented, DACA, T or U visa student DO NOT fill out the FAFSA.
  2. Create/check Webgrants*
  3. Check your Fresno State student center in case you need to turn in any forms to the financial aid office.  Without turning in those forms ON TIME, you will delay the chances of receiving any financial aid.

*Note: Webgrants is the page that tells you if you qualify for any Cal grants after you submit the CA Dream Act application.  The CA Dream Act is the application to receive any type of financial aid.  Webgrants notifies you of your application status and eligibility for Cal grants.  If you do not qualify for Cal Grants, Fresno State has another grant you may qualify for so there is always chance you may qualify to get some form of financial aid.  However, you need to consult with the financial aid office or with the Dream Success Center so we can connect you with information.

Funding Breakdown

Funding Funding Type Description
Cal Grant A & B State

Cal Grant A:

Will help pay for tuition and fees at four-year colleges

Award amounts vary by type of college — for 2018-2019, Cal Grants are up to $12,570 at a University of California campus, up to $5,742 at a California State University campus, and up to $9,084 at independent colleges.

Has a GPA requirement. If you’re applying using your high school GPA, you must have at least a 3.0 GPA; if applying using your college GPA, you must have at least a 2.4 GPA.

Requires that your course of study leads directly to an associate or bachelor’s degree, or qualifies you for transfer from a community college to a bachelor’s degree program.

Cal Grant B:

Provides a living allowance of up to $1,672, in addition to tuition and fee assistance after the first year, at a two- or four-year college.

Pays most first-year students a living allowance only, which may be used to pay living expenses, books, supplies and transportation, as well as tuition and fees.

When renewed or awarded beyond your first year, you’ll receive the living allowance as well as a tuition and fee award (up to $12,570 at a UC campus, up to $5,742 at a CSU campus and up to $9,084 at independent colleges for 2018-2019).

Requires at least a 2.0 GPA.

More information visit:


State University Grant (SUG) Institutional

A grant program for eligible California residents as determined from information contained in your CA Dream Act. Priority is given to students with the greatest need.

California residents making progress towards an undergraduate undocumented students are eligible if they meet the following criteria:

  • Enroll in at least 6 units
  • An EFC no greater the 4000
  • Students cannot have accumulated more than 150 semester units earned in their CSU undergraduate careers
  • can only be used to pay State University Fees
Dream Loan Institutional The California DREAM Loan is a subsidized loan program for undergraduate students with a valid California Dream Act Application and a valid AB540 affidavit to help cover the costs of attending Fresno State.

To be eligible for this loan, you have to:

  • Complete the California Dream Act Application by March 2
  • Demonstrate financial need
  • Be meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements
  • Be enrolled in at least six units

DREAM Loans are awarded based on funding availability. If you meet the above requirements, you will be awarded and then you will need to contact Melissa Waite,, to accept the loan and complete your promissory note and entrance counseling. Receipt of the loan one year does not guarantee an award for the next year.

Eligible students may borrow up to $4,000 per year, not to exceed $20,000 over their undergraduate career.

The California DREAM Loan has an interest rate of 4.529% for loans disbursing prior to July 1, 2020. For DREAM loans disbursing or or after July 1, 2020 the interest rate will be 2.75%. Just like the subsidized loan, it does not accrue interest while you are enrolled at least half-time.

Repayment of the California Dream Loan begins at the end of a 6-month grace period. The grace period begins once you graduate, leave school, or enroll less than half-time. California DREAM Loans are set up to be repaid in monthly installments with a minimum payment of $50 a month. You can pay your loan off earlier without penalty.

Fresno State Scholarship Institutional

In order to be considered for a Fresno State scholarship, students must be a continuing student or a new students applying to Fresno State this academic year. Before you attempt to apply for Fresno State scholarships, please make sure you have received a Fresno State Student I.D. number and have activated your MyFresnoState account with a valid email address. All scholarship applicants must use their MyFresnoState log-in user name and password to access the scholarship application and/or the scholarship directory for current year opportunities.

The scholarship application period for Fresno State starts October 1st and ends March 2nd.

Provost Graduation Initiative  Institutional (only for summer)

The Provost Graduation Initiative is for current Fresno State students who will graduate in summer by taking courses in May-June Intersession or Summer Session. Qualified students may be eligible to receive a grant from the Division of Continuing and Global Education to apply toward May-June Intersession and/or Summer Session courses. Questions may be emailed to


Other Aid  


Payment Deadlines

For information on payment deadlines, please visit:

Payment Plan

A Payment Plans is now available through your Student Self Service.

To enroll in the Payment Plan, sign in to My Fresno State at and click on Student Self Service>Student Center>My Finances (Financial Obligations and Financial Aid).

Proceed to the "other financial..." drop down menu and select "Enroll in Payment Plan" and click on the arrows to the right (>>). Then follow the 4-step process.

Please Note: Continuing and Global/Extended Education students are not eligible for the payment plan. 

For more information, visit Accounting Services.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Yes. As a Dreamer/DACA/Undocumented student you do NOT qualify for Federal Financial Aid through FAFSA, but you may qualify for State Aid via the CA Dream Act application.  If you meet the requirements of the CA AB 540 law, file an affidavit (CA Nonresidetn Tuition Exemption form) with admissions, fill out the CA Dream Act application, and your income makes you eligible, you may receive some form of State financial aid to help you with your school expenses.  

We understand that this can all be confusing.  Contact us at the Dream Success Center if you need guidance: or 559-278-1554.

Yes.  You do not need to have DACA to qualify for State Aid. As an Undocumented student you do NOT qualify for Federal Financial Aid through FAFSA, but you may qualify for State Aid via the CA Dream Act application.  If you meet the requirements of the CA AB 540 law, file an affidavit (CA Nonresidetn Tuition Exemption form) with admissions, fill out the CA Dream Act application, and your income makes you eligible, you may receive some form of State financial aid to help you with your school expenses.  

We understand that this can all be confusing.  Contact us at the Dream Success Center if you need guidance: or 559-278-1554.

A Financial Aid Fee Deferment does not pay or waive your tuition and fees.  It is only a delay until financial aid is applied. 

A Financial Aid Fee Deferment permits eligible students to delay payment of tuition and fees.  Deferments are issued based on the expectation tuition and fees will be paid, either partially or in full, by financial aid. This deferment allows students with unpaid charges to remain registered for classes on the July 31st payment deadline. Students issued a fee deferment are still responsible for all charges on their account if financial aid is not issued or does not cover all costs. 

For more information visit: /financialaid/policies/feedeferment.html

 A Cal Grant is money for college you don’t have to pay back. To qualify, you must apply for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application (CADAA) by the deadline and meet the eligibility and financial requirements as well as any minimum GPA requirements. Cal Grants can be used at any University of California, California State University or California Community College, as well as qualifying independent and career colleges or technical schools in California.

There are three kinds of Cal Grants — A, B and C — but you don’t have to figure out which one to apply for. Your eligibility will be based on your FAFSA or CADAA responses, your verified Cal Grant GPA, the type of California colleges you list on your FAFSA and whether you’re a recent high school graduate. 

More information visit:

 A student may meet the eligibility requirements for both the Cal Grant A and Cal Grant B awards, however a student may be paid for one type of Cal Grant award at a time. Cal Grants pay different amounts, dependent on whether the student is attending a UC, CSU, community college or private institution. Cal Grant A pays the same tuition & fee amount each year for up to four years. Cal Grant B pays a stipend only in the freshman year. For subsequent years, a student may receive the stipend, plus tuition equal to the Cal Grant A, for a total of four years.

2018-19 Award Amounts

Cal Grant A (per year): up to

  • $12,570 at University of California
  • $5,742 at California State University
  • $9,084 at qualifying private non-profit California colleges, WASC for-profit California colleges
  • $4,000 at non-WASC accredited for-profit institutions
  • If you attend a California community college, your Cal Grant A is held on reserve until transfer.

Cal Grant B (per year):

  • $1,672 stipend your first year for books and supplies, then increases after the first year to total the stipend amount plus tuition and statewide fees, in the same amount as Cal Grant A listed above at the respective school.

More information visit:

 For example: Cal Grant B vs A at UC

Grant A vs grant B at UC
Grant Type Freshman Sophomore Junior Senior Total Award
A. Tuition $12,570 $12,570 $12,570 $12,570 $50,280
B- Stipend

For example: Cal Grant B vs A at CSU

Grant B vs A at CSU
Grant Type Freshman Sophomore Junior Senior Total Award
A. Tuition $5,742 $5,742 $5,742 $5,742 $22,968
B- Stipend

More information visit:

Yes.  Depending on your income eligibility, you can continue to receive other forms of state aid like the State University Grant and/or CA DREAM loan.  We encourage you to continue renewing the CA Dream Act application as long as you will be enrolled in school.

ITIN Guide- Immigrants Rising

People who are ineligible for a Social Security number can apply for an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN), regardless of immigration status. With an ITIN, you can report your earnings to the Internal Revenue Service, open interest-bearing bank accounts with certain banks, and conduct business in the United States. Find out how to apply, renew, and use an ITIN.

For more information about the ITIN, please visit the National Immigration Law Center (resources are available in Spanish).

To find a local organization that can help resolve a tax issue, visit the IRS’s Low Income Taxpayer Clinics (LITC) interactive map.


Form W7

Instructions for Form W7

For more information visit:

Other External Scholarship Resources

Below please find a listing of other scholarships that are available for undocumented students.  We encourage students to proactively search and apply to as many scholarships as possible to fund your education.

Need assistance understanding the process of financial aid?

The Dream Success Center can help!  If you need:

  • help with filling out the CA Dream Act Application for financial aid
  • understanding the financial aid awarding process
  • help with verification forms from Fresno State's Financial Aid office
  • budgeting
  • filling out scholarship applications
  • reviewing personal statements for scholarships, etc.

Please call 559.278.1554 to schedule an appointment with Diana Rea. We are here to help.