Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships
Fee Deferment Criteria
A Financial Aid Fee Deferment permits eligible students to delay payment of tuition and fees. Deferments are issued based on the expectation tuition and fees will be paid, either partially or in full, by financial aid. This deferment allows students with unpaid charges to remain registered for classes on the fee payment deadline. Students issued a fee deferment are still responsible for all charges on their account if financial aid is not issued or does not cover all costs.
A Financial Aid Fee Deferment does not pay or waive your tuition and fees. It is only a delay until financial aid is applied.
You can find the Fee Payment Deadlines here. You can click here for more information on how to pay your fees with Student Accounts. You can contact Student Accounts by calling 559.278.2876 or emailing them at email@example.com.
THE FINANCIAL AID FEE DEFERMENT PROCESS:
- Students that meet all of the critieria outlined below will automatically be granted a financial aid fee deferment for the appropriate semester. Should the student no longer meet the criteria, the fee deferment will be removed.
- Students that do not meet all of the critiera outlined below can request consideration for a financial aid fee deferment by completing the Financial
Aid Fee Deferment Request from their Student Center.
- The Spring 2023 Financial Aid Fee Deferment Request will be available January 3, 2023 through January 5, 2023 at 5:00p.m. through the Student Center.
- Fee deferment requests will not be accepted via email.
FINANCIAL AID FEE DEFERMENT CRITERIA:
To receive and remain eligible for a financial aid fee deferment, students must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Maintain enrollment in at least 6 undergraduate units, 4 graduate (200 series) units or 3 doctoral (500 series) units. Waitlisted courses do not count as enrollment.
- Meet financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements
- Have an official financial aid application (FAFSA or California Dream Act application) for the current academic year
- Completed all “To Do” list items listed on your Student Center
- Have a current Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of 6206 or less OR have an accepted Cal Grant award OR have accepted your award of a Direct Subsidized, Direct Unsubsidized, PLUS or Private loan.
- Be admitted to a degree or teacher credential program (Bachelors, 2nd Bachelors, Cal State Teach, Teacher Credential, Master’s or Doctorate)
- Be eligible to receive financial aid
- Not in default on a student loan or owe a repayment of aid to the US Department of Education
- No drug conviction preventing financial aid eligibility
- Have an outstanding balance on your student account for the current semester.
Changes to any of these criteria, (most commonly changes in enrollment or changes to the financial aid application which impact financial aid eligibility), may cause you to lose or gain deferment eligibility.
If the only aid you are receiving is a Fresno State scholarship(s), a fee deferment will be added if the scholarship(s) total is $2,500 or higher for the semester. If the total of your Fresno State scholarship(s) is less than $2,500 and you have paid the difference between your scholarship(s) and your tuition/fees, you may contact the financial aid office to request a fee deferment for the amount covered by the scholarship(s).
- If you are issued a fee deferment but your eligibility changes and you no longer meet
the criteria listed below, your fee deferment will be removed.
- You will be responsible for paying your own tuition and fees and meeting the fee payment deadlines.
- If your deferment is removed and you do not meet the payment deadline(s), you will be subject to disenrollment from classes.
- If you decide not to attend Fresno State, it is your responsibility to drop all of your classes. If you do not drop all of your classes and you had a Fee Deferment, you will be responsible for all fees charged.
If you have questions, please contact the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office in the North Lobby of Joyal Administration or at 559-278-2182.
HOW TO REQUEST A FINANCIAL AID FEE DEFERMENT FROM YOUR STUDENT CENTER:
- Log into your Student Center
- Go to the My Finances (Financial Obligations and Financial Aid) section
- Click into the dropdown box and select "Fin Aid Fee Deferment Request" and click the double arrows. You will be automatically redirected to the electronic form.
Please note that this request is only available a few days prior to the Fall and Spring fee payment deadlines.
For Spring 2023, you will be able to request consideration for a financial aid fee deferment through your Student Center beginning January 3, 2023, through January 5, 2023. Fee deferment requests will not be accepted via email.
You will not be able to submit a request through your Student Center if you already have a financial aid fee deferment for that particular semester or if you already have submitted a request and it is pending review.