Admissions and Recruitment
African American High School Recognition Ceremony
30th African American High School Recognition Ceremony
Sunday, June 4, 2023, at 3 pm
Location: Save Mart Center
We are a private, non-profit organization founded in 1913, whose purpose is to provide assistance and support through established programs in local communities throughout the world. The major programs of the Sorority are based upon the organization's Five-Point Programmatic Thrust:
- Economic Development
- Educational Development
- International Awareness and Involvement
- Physical and Mental Health
- Political Awareness and Involvement
The San Joaquin Valley Alumnae Chapter was chartered on June 19, 1980 as the 661st Graduate Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. Twelve women came together by linking hands with the community, civil rights groups, churches, educational institutions, social and business organizations - reuniting themselves in the true sisterhood of DST. Members of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. are college-educated women committed to excellence in higher education.
San Joaquin Valley Alumnae Chapter
President – Dr. Alicia B. Becton
Vice President – RoShanda J. Myers
Recording Secretary-Winnie L. Fletcher
Corresponding Secretary – Christina M. Wells
Financial Secretary – La Yneeta Shipman-Mills
Treasurer – Linda P. Simpson
- Research has shown that 68 percent of African-American students graduate from high school. Those rates are about 10 to 15 percent less than the graduation rate of white students. There has been significant gains in graduation rates for African-American students, but they still have the farthest to go.
- The purpose of this recognition is to acknowledge graduating seniors who have reached this noteworthy milestone, and who might not otherwise be recognized individually.
- Our goal is to intentionally focus on the positive outcomes of African-American students. This event recognizes and draws attention to needs of our minority college bound youth to continue their education.
Who Should Participate:
Although the focus is on African-American students, any graduating senior can participate.
Each participant will receive a certificate of recognition and a Kente Cloth. Students
with an overall GPA of 3.5 and above will receive a honor cord (must mail in a transcript
showing proof of a 3.5 GPA to:
SJVA Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc P.O. Box 11214 Fresno, CA 93772
IMPORTANT: ONLY HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS CAN APPLY FOR SCHOLARSHIPS
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. (San Joaquin Valley Alumnae) Scholarship Application
Please note that applying for the San Joaquin Valley Alumnae Scholarship will put students in the running for several other scholarships that will be awarded by the scholarship committee.
We provide the platform for community partners to give scholarships in their name to support higher education and success outcomes for our central valley youth. For a full list of all of our amazing sponsors, please see the “Our Sponsors” tab.
Fill Scholarship Application online or download the application here
Iota Nu Lambda Education Foundation 2023 Scholarship Application
For More Information:
If you have any questions regarding the scholarship application, please contact the scholarship committee at email@example.com
For questions regarding African American High School Recognition Program, please contact
Ms. Lisa Mitchell or Mrs. Sonja Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sonja Wilson and Lisa Mitchell
Co-Chairs, African American Recognition Program, SJVA Chapter
Dr. Nicholette King-Rabetsimba and Kameka Pulliam
Co-Chairs, Scholarship Committee, SJVA Chapter
Dr. Alicia Becton, President, SJVA Chapter
We provide the platform for community leaders and organizations to give scholarships in their name to support higher education and success outcomes of our central valley youth.
As a result of this work, over the past 5 years we have been approached by several community partners wanting to provide scholarships for students pursing higher education. To date we have awarded over $187, 000 in scholarships to students thanks to the overwhelming support from our community partners.
We would like to give your business/organization the opportunity to support your central valley graduating high school seniors by providing a scholarship for a deserving student. It is not a requirement to be a part of a business or organization to give a scholarship or make a donation. Any donation large or small is appreciated.
Examples of donation can include sponsoring a student participant in the amount of $16, books fees and tuition cost, $250-$2000 or greater.
To make your contribution more visible we are pleased to recognize your company/business in the African-American High School Recognition Program.
- ABC 30
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
- Bulldog Scholarship
- CalViva Health
- Central Unified School District
- Central Valley Black Nurses Association
- Central Valley Education Foundation HBCU Scholarship
- Central Valley New Market Tax Credit
- City Councilmember Luis Chavez
- Clovis Unified School District
- Deborah Memorial Scholarship
- Dr. Jeffrey Curtis Future Educators Scholarship
- Drs. Robert and Edythe Stewart Scholarship
- Economic Opportunities Commission
- Educational Employees Credit Union (EECU)
- Fresno County Superintendent of Schools
- Fresno State African American Alumni Club
- Greater Heights
- Hendrix Higher Education Scholarship
- Huberto (Herbie) Ponce Jr. Memorial Scholarship
- Humphrey Family Scholarship
- James Hunt Memorial Servant Leadership Scholarship
- King Rabetsimba Family Scholarship
- Kremen School of Education and Human Development
- Loretta Scruggs-Leach Scholarship
- Mildred Benson
- Miller Family
- New Bulldog Scholarship
- Patrick D. Dantzler Commitment to Health Care Excellence Scholarship
- Rev Paul McCoy Scholarship
- Steven & Stephanie Gay
- Team Treadwell Goals & Values Guide Scholarship
- The Luke-Monroe Memorial Educational Scholarship
- The Robert W Sims Memorial Scholarship
- Tommy L. Barfield Dare to Dream
- Trustee Board Member Keshia Thomas
You can also reach Sonja Wilson and Lisa Mitchell at email@example.com or on Facebook at SJVAC Deltas-Fresno.
San Joaquin Valley Alumnae Chapter
P.O. Box 11214
Fresno, CA 93772