Office of the University Registrar
Programs and Events
VET NET ALLY PROGRAM AND HISTORY
The VET NET Ally Program was presented in September 2017 as a half-day seminar by the CSU, Long Beach Director of Veterans Services, Dr. Marshall Thomas. Dr. Thomas presents modules that provide information and experience in one of four major theme areas: program purpose, policies and procedures related to veterans in higher education, military and post-military culture and transition, and personal identity issues associated with status as a service member or veteran.
To make the information accessible to participants and to create a logical flow of information and experience, the modules are organized in a manner that follows the path of veterans choosing military service, transitioning into the service, becoming acculturated to a military lifestyle, exiting the service, transitioning back to civilian life, and becoming a student.
The seminar culminates in a panel of student veterans who are asked questions by the seminar presenters and participants.
The mission of the VET NET Ally Program is to:
- Establish a network of visible Allies to provide support, information, and assistance for service members and veterans.
- Provide service members and veterans with comfortable access to trustworthy, knowledgeable, and sensitive people who can provide a safe and non-discriminatory environment.
- Provide an opportunity for Fresno State faculty and staff to demonstrate support for service members and veterans.
- Provide all students on campus an opportunity to respond to instances of discrimination or harassment based on perceived or self-reported status as a service member or veteran.
- Educate members of the university community about the needs and concerns of service members and veterans.
- Assist university personnel in understanding that discrimination based on status as a service member or veteran is harmful to the campus environment for all.
- Foster a campus atmosphere that supports the academic freedom and professional, personal and social success of service members and veterans.
- Advance the Fresno State's progress towards a campus that discourages discrimination and openly celebrates diversity.
Look for the VET NET Ally logo displayed in offices and departments throughout the campus.
To add your event to calendar, please submit Calendar Event Request.