Skip to main content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer content

University Advising Center

Undeclared/Undecided Students Start Here

Over 900 students at Fresno State indicate their major is Undeclared. And we estimate at least as many students are what we call "misdeclared." Selecting a major that is a good one for you is a process of exploring and learning more about yourself. We are here to help you!

The University Advising Center is the "major department" for undeclared and undecided students.

If you have not formally declared a major, or if you are considering changing your major, we invite you to make an appointment with an advisor by calling 559.278.1787, or visit Joyal 224.

Schedule an Appointment

Joyal front students

 "Undeclared" is a term used by the university for students who have not decided on or declared a major. Other institutions use terms such as "undecided" or "exploratory." "Undeclared" is also sometimes used by students who are changing their major and wish to be formally undeclared during the transition time between majors.

The University Advising Center is the place to go for a variety of services, including undeclared-student advising. Academic counselors will advise undeclared students until a major is declared. A variety of services are offered to help students achieve their educational goals and effectively use the resources of the university. To schedule an appointment call 559.278.1787 or visit Joyal Administration, Room 224.

Undergraduate students must declare a major by the time they have completed 45 units or they will receive a Mandatory Declaration (MD) registration hold on their account.

Download a "Change of Major Request" form, or pick one up at the Admissions & Records service windows located in Joyal Administration, north lobby. An approval signature is required from the department of the major you want to declare. The completed form is returned to the Admissions & Records service windows where your new major will be recorded within a few days.

  • The University Advising Center, Joyal Administration, Room 224. Call to schedule an appointment at 278-1787.
  • Career Development Center, Thomas, Room 103. For an appointment with a career counselor call 278-2381.
  • If you have an interest in a certain major, meet with the College Advising Center for that department.

 Yes, see an academic counselor in the University Advising Center to start exploring majors.  They can also assist with signing the official Change of Major Request form that will be required to be submitted.  You still must have a declared major by your 60th unit or a registration block will be placed.

It is important to meet with an academic counselor in the University Advising Center at least once per semester for advice about completing General Education requirements and to assist with declaration of a major. The faster a decision is made about declaring a major the more likely you will be on track for a degree.

Until a decision is made regarding a major, courses that fulfill General Education (GE) requirements should be taken. However, the longer the major exploration process is delayed the likelihood increases of missing opportunities to select courses that can double count for the major as well as GE.

It is recommended to work with an academic counselor in the University Advising Center when selecting courses.  

Students who are exploring their options and have not declared a major can take General Education courses that are broadly applicable to graduation requirements, introductory courses in majors of potential interest (some of these may fulfill General Education requirements), as well as elective courses that are designed for first-year college students (Community Service, KAC, or other appropriate courses).