Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships
Summer and Financial Aid
Taking summer courses is a great way to speed up your graduation. If you are interested in receiving financial aid, here is some helpful information!
Please note that the information on this page is for the Summer 2022 semester and will be updated in April 2023 for the Summer 2023 semester.
The Deadline for submitting the Summer Interest Form is June 15th.
To be considered for financial aid for the Intersession/Summer sessions, you must have remaining financial aid eligibility for the academic year and meet the following:
- Submit the 2022 Summer Interest Form by the appropriate deadline
- Be admitted to the university in an eligible program
- File a 2021-2022 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) no later than May 15, 2022
- Meet the general eligibility requirements for Federal Student Aid
- Submit all requested documents on your "To Do List" to the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office by June 15, 2022
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) AFTER Spring 2022 semester grades have been
posted (if applicable)
- If you are not meeting SAP, your financial aid may be cancelled. You can appeal your SAP status by submitting a SAP appeal. Financial aid will not disburse unless the SAP appeal is approved.
Almost all financial aid awarded during the summer requires you to be enrolled in 6 or more units.
If you are taking 6 units or more: You'll need to submit the 2022 Summer Interest Form to our office by the deadline. We will review your account to determine your financial aid eligibility and you will be notified once your account has been reviewed.
Deadline to submit the Summer Interest Form:
- Submit the Summer Interest Form by June 15th
If you are taking 5 units or less: Your financial aid eligibility will be reviewed automatically and you will be notified if you are awarded.
Financial aid disbursements for Summer 2022 will begin AFTER June 6, 2022.
Please take note that students are responsible for paying their fees at the time of registration in Intersession/Summer. Fee Deferments are not available.
We must ensure that you are meeting the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements following attendance of summer courses. View the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy here.
This means that Fall 2022 financial aid cannot be disbursed until after Summer grades are processed by the Records Office and the SAP process has run in our office to ensure you are meeting SAP requirements. If you are enrolled in Summer 2022 courses, Fall 2022 financial aid will not be available at the start of the Fall 2022 semester but should be disbursed within two weeks of the semester start.
Please monitor your account for a fee deferment for the Fall 2022 semester and contact our office if you do not have a fee deferment and believe you qualify for one. Click HERE for our Fee Deferment Criteria information.
The Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) process is ran once Spring 2022 grades have been processed to ensure you are maintaining federal aid eligibility. You will be notified if you are not meeting SAP requirements.
If you are not meeting SAP requirements, your financial aid may be cancelled. You have the opportunity to appeal your SAP status and if it is approved, then your financial aid will be able to disburse. Please see the SAP webpage for more information and SAP deadlines.
- If you are a dependent student, your parent may apply for a Parent PLUS Loan to help cover the costs of your education. This is a loan in your parent's name on behalf of your education. After your parent applies for the Parent PLUS loan at studentaid.gov and is approved, we will be notified and will begin processing. In order to be eligibile, you do need to be in at least 6 units.
- If you are a graduate student, you may apply for a Graduate PLUS Loan to help cover the costs of your education. After you have applied for the Graduate PLUS loan at studentaid.gov and have been approved, you must submit the PLUS Loan Request Form to our office in order for the loan to be processed. In order to be eligible, you do need to be in at least 6 units.
Private Loan: After you or your parent have applied for and been approved for a private loan through your chosen lender, you must submit a Private Loan Request Form to our office in order for the loan to be processed.